Whether you’re a small startup, a family-owned business that’s been around for decades, or a major corporation, the security of your network must be a primary concern. If you transmit voice, data, or other information over the Internet (and you do), you are a target for cyberattacks and you can be compromised.
Who and What Are You Protecting?
When it comes to security, there are many important considerations:
- Protecting customers. Are you storing or processing credit card information? What about protected health information? Demographic data? Customers trust you to keep their data safe. If you don’t, they’ll punish you in more ways than one.
- Protecting your own proprietary data and applications. You depend on intellectual property, trade secrets, client lists, and other critical data to remain competitive in your industry. Theft or damage of that data can cripple your business to an unrecoverable point.
- Satisfying regulatory and compliance guidelines. Your business may be responsible to meet PCI DSS compliance requirements (to process payment cards securely), HIPAA, and potentially hundreds of other legal and contractual obligations.
Remember that there’s a big difference between adhering to regulatory standards and actually protecting your data. Meeting the standards fulfills your legal obligations, but doesn’t necessarily mean you or your customers are safe.
What Are the Consequences of an Attack or Security Breach?
The consequences can be devastating. Here are just a few to think about:
- Extensive downtime and business interruption, which can cost you sales, customers, and productivity. (More than half of all compromised organizations will start to incur serious losses after just one hour of downtime.)
- Theft or destruction of confidential or proprietary data and information that you depend on for your business processes.
- Exposure to lawsuits, criminal investigations, and/or fines.
- Damage to your company reputation that may not be fully salvageable.
What are the Tools of Network Security?
Solutions will include traditional aspects of network security, such as:
- Data encryption.
- Multi-factor authentication.
- Intrusion detection/prevention.
- Anti-virus software, and the like.
But they also include newer, more proactive and sophisticated services, such as Managed Detection Response (MDR) to identify and deal with emerging risks. And of course, your network needs to be supported and updated with regular patches and upgrades.
So … Are You Safe?
TelDesigns works with dozens of security experts who know the industry inside and out. We put our knowledge to work for you by analyzing your existing network security infrastructure, consult with you regarding your current business activities and needs, help establish a baseline through penetration testing and assessments, then leverage our industry relationships to create a packaged network security solution that meets or exceeds your current needs within budget.
You don’t have to be an expert in network security, but you do have to get network security right—or risk severe consequences. We can help protect you. Give us a call today at (616) 965-2030 to schedule your consultation.